ITINERARY Fano in the places that tell the FAMILY TORELLI
The Torellis was a historical Medieval Italian family. It was a noble family originating from Ferrara, on which the Este prevailed in the fight for the dominance of the city. It consequently divided into different branches.
According to the chronicles, Viviano Torelli came to Fano from Parma in the thirteenth century. Today the family is extinct.
1) Pinacoteca Civica (Civic Gallery), in Palazzo Malatestiano, Piazza XX Settembre (XX September Square).
The Pinacoteca Civica (Civic Gallery) hosts some well-known characters’ portraits of Torelli family and twelve oil small paintings. They represent some theatrical scenes of Giacomo Torelli. The small paintings and the portraits of G.Torelli and his wife, were offered by the earl Gregorio Tomani Amiani to the Musei Civici (Civic Museum) at the end of ‘800s. The earl had inherited them from Torelli.
In this place Giacomo Torelli realised Teatro della Fortuna in 1677, by substituing the Commedy’s room that was inside the former Podestà Palace. Fano provided itself a structure that would be an example all over Europe.
Giacomo Torelli, who was an important member of the family, was baptized in the original Medieval constrution of the present beautiful seventeenth century church San Pietro in Valle in Fano.
He was a famous scenographer, who lived in Forestieri street next to the church on the left of its facade. The Scientific high school in Fano is still nowadays called after him.
Torelli and his wife are buried in the second chapel on the left.
The builing was made a floor higher compared to the original by Evangelista Torelli and by his nephew Torello Torelli.
The facade in neoclassical style was built by Baldini.
The square is dedicated to Antonio Costanzi, who was the father of Camilla Costanzi. She married Giovanni Antonio Torelli. Lelio Torelli would be born of them.
The inner part of the building, that was modified at the beginning of the 18th century by Francesco Gasparoli coming from Fano, most probably follows the original drawing for a scenography by Giacomo Torelli.
8) Chiostro di Sant'Agostino, Via Vitruvius.
Frescos by G.C Begni of Pesaro are preserved in the lunettes of the Renaissance cloister. They depict the life of St. Augustin. These frescos were painted around 1640 and financed by noble families of Fano.